Tuesday, September 2, 2014

I love my mission, I love Costa Rica and the people here!

Ahhh!!! This week has been so crazy... actually not very much has happened. We didn't have very good numbers this week but we’re going to do better this week. I was proposed to 4 times this week. How flattering...
I always forget what I want to write about so last night I made a list so this is going to be all kinds of everywhere. Sorry.
The amount of food here is unreal. Yesterday I actually got sick because of how much we ate. We had 3 food appointments right after eachother and at one we had to each chicharon. I dont actually know how to spell that but it is so much different here than it is in the states andI have to say that it is my least favorite food so far. The families here are so loving J and they want to feed us but they are so poor so you have to eat everything because it’s so rude not too. They always give you enough to feed a family of like 4 people on one plate. But the food is super good. I have eaten more banana in the past 2 weeks than I have in all my life combined.
The cat calls here are also unreal. At first it made me uncomfortable but now its just funny. Every time we leave the house no matter how gross I think I look, it happens. The members are at least nice about it and don’t say anything rude... they just ask me to marry them but the non-members tend to be a little bit more on the uncomfortable side about it and they think I don't speak Spanish so when I turn around and in Spanish tell them to tell me again they get really uncomfortable and walk away. Its kind of entertaining.
Embarrassing moment of the week. Falling asleep in church. I got asked the question ¿Hermana, Mucho sueno? I can't tell you how many times. EVERYONE saw... oops but I was so tired yesterday because we walked for 2 hours to visit the family of a man who I met on the bus. His name is Gerald, so I instantly wanted to baptize him. That’s my Grandpa’s name. Ahh I cant remember how to spell anything. So we took a bus and a taxi to get there but had no more money so we walked back for 2 hours to the center of the town and then took another taxi to our house. This place is called Rio Jiminez but it was actually about 4km south of there... so hard to find in this was like the campo campo. Crazy country. When you picture Costa Rica this is the kind of place you picture. The most beautiful country side with huge rivers and waterfalls and fruit trees of all the kinds.
Another thing that is unreal here: The rain. Last night we were trying to plan but we have a sheet metal roof and we couldn’t hear eachother even though we were sitting 2 feet away and yelling at the top of our lungs.
Our District leader Elder Chubb gave us a teddy bear so that we can teach it during our comp study. This thing is seriously so cute. He is great though so we love it... I have included a picture (hopefully) of this bear as well as a picture of our district leader in the form of a selfie on my camera.
I harvested pipa yesterday. I LOVE pipa. It is a coconut with less time in the tree (I think). That was a new experience.
Okay, with all of that out of the way I just want to say how much I love missionary work and how much I am terrified of how fast this time is going to go by. I had the most amazing experience with one of our new investigators the other day and ohh my gosh I did not think that he was going to come to church and he did! His name is Jordan and he is 16 years old and he is making such adult decisions with his life and I am so happy that I get to be a part of that and that I get to be a part of the changing of so many peoples lives. I thought that when I came down here I would be distracted but to be completely honest I haven’t thought about home once until this morning. Everyone said that I would start to feel Christ's love for the people but I didn't know what they meant and I don’t think that you can until you feel it for yourself.
I know for 100% that this gospel is true and that this is the only place I need to be right now. I know that the gift of tongues is real and I know that without the help of Heavenly Father there would be no way that I would be talking to people and holding normal conversations with them in just 2 weeks. I love Costa Rica and the people here more than I ever thought was possible. Guacimo has my heart. The church is true, the book is blue!

I love y'all so much!
Hermana Gibson


p.s. I have attached the photo of my feet from last weeks email as I have received multiple requests to see it!







1 comment:

  1. GREAT letter! She sounds so happy! LOL about the marriage proposals--she is a true sister missionary =)

    ReplyDelete